What is Miropenis?

Micropenis is defined as a penis shorter than 2 standard deviations from the mean for the age.

The average penis measures 7.5cm to 10cm when it is flaccid and 12.5cm to 17.5cm when it is fully erect. Only when the penis is shorter then 7.6cm when erect is it considered a problem.

It is also known as Microphallus if there is also an associated Hypospadias (the urethral opening on the penis is not at the tip but somewhere further up the shaft).

How do I know if I have Micropenis?

Micropenis is frequently diagnosed when a boy is very young.

It is frequently associated with other abnormalities of the genitals and even other abnormalities with the hormone levels.

Baby boys with Micropenis often do not develop normally and are therefore diagnosed by their Doctors at a very young age.

When measuring the penis, make sure that you take the measurement from the base. The base of the penis is frequently obscured b pubic fat or hair.

Push the pubic fat down to reveal the true base of the penis. If you do not do this, the penis measurement is inaccurate and will give a shorter measurement.

What causes Micropenis?

Micropenis is caused by a problem along the complex pathway that controls hormone production in the body. This pathway is known as the Hypothalamic-Pituitary Axis.

Frequently, it is the inability to produce Testosterone or convert it to its active form that causes Micropenis.

This can be associated with complex genetic syndromes like Klinefelter Syndrome and Noonan Syndrome.

Click here to learn more about Penis Enlargement

How is Micropenis treated?

Micropenis is treated by replacing the Testosterone into the body. This is usually done through 3 to 6 monthly injections.

If the patient does not respond to Testosterone, surgery can be done but this is rare and strongly encouraged to be used only as an extreme last resort.

Need more advice?

Come down to Our Clinics for a discussion with Our Doctors, or call our clinics for more information:

Email: hello@dtapclinic.com.sg


  1. Hi Dr. This is not related to micropenis, but I am not sure where to ask: When i pee and i pull back the penis foreskin, the stream will come in 2 directions. But when I pee with the foreskin, it is ok. Is this normal? In general, I can’t pull back the foreskin too long as it feels a bit painful on the penis head. Thank you so much.

  2. Sir I am worried that my pennis is very small It is 0.5cm in flaccid state and 3cm in errect state So what can I do. I am 21 years old.

  3. Hi i am 22 year old and i think i have phimosis and micropenis as when i am flacid the penis is barely 1cm at times and will go in. When erect max is around 4cm at most. I have also small testicle and feeling very unsecured about this. Is this related to overweight as well?

    • It is best to visit us for a proper consult and evaluation. Being overweight can lead to a smaller penile appearance, but there are other conditions which can also lead to micropenis including hormonal issues.

  4. I’m 25 years old and my penis is around 1-2 cm when flaccid. Sometimes it will go into my body and the skin is left. Erect is around 9cm. Should I be concern to do a check?

  5. Althalos


    I believe I do have micropenis as it totally does not even dangle if flaccid. In fact, most of the time it went inside and end up being covered by my testicles. During erection, the measured length is only 2 to 3 cm.
    I am also very inferior of my own penis size and I am afraid it may causes problem in the future should I want to have a child. How can I possibly make it slightly normal and larger?

    • Hi. You should first see a doctor and determine if you truly have micropenis and what the pathology is. You mus treat the underlying problem. We do not advocate penile enlargement purely for cosmetic purposes.

      • My penis is one inch flacid I’m 14 and when erect is 2 do I have micropenis an I scared to ask my mom to make a appointment

        • We cannot make a diagnosis without consult and examination. If you have concerns, you should speak to your parents and get properly assessed.

  6. Dear Dr Tan,

    I am 25yo Singaporean (Chinese) and I would like to seek your opinion about my penis size. It is between 4 to 4.5 inches (10-11cm) when erect and I seem to be smaller when I compared with my friends. Is this size something I should be concerned about? How would you advise should I wish to enlarge it to be within the average range?

    • That sounds very normal to me. We do not encourage of advocate penis enlargement for cosmetic purposes. If you think you may have a genetic or hormonal abnormality that is resulting in a small penis, please see a doctor for more advice.

  7. I am only 11 and my penis is around 3 inches is it a average size for a 11 year old

  8. Hi Doc,

    My name is Erick from the Philippines I’m already 25 years old and currently having an issue with my penis due to its size. When flaccid it just measures around 1.75″ and 3.75″ when erect. I stand around 5’7″ and weigh about 170lbs. I regularly workout at the gym at night about 3-4 times a week and consider myself a heavy lifter. I have been experiencing this issue for quite a long time now and lately its getting worse, i think. For example, i feel like there is no blood flowing in my penis every day and it takes longer for it to erect. Also, it feels like it has shorten by a few milimeters base on my perspective. I have been looking for a cure for this with no success. But after seeing your blog, i would like to ask for your advise and assistance regarding this matter and it would really be appreciated. I am afraid that if this continues my girlfriend would leave me due to its size. After all my girlfriend is as tall as me. I hope that you could help me if this is reversable and if there is a way to increase its size. Also, is it possible that this is due to my smoking habits. I’ve been a regular smoker for the past 3 yrs.

    Thank you in advance.

    • Hi Erick. The best advice I can give you is to see a doctor. First to find out what is wrong, then to offer a treatment.

  9. Ranjith

    Hello Dr.Tan. i am 32 years old. I was taking medications for male pattern baldness for past 1 year (Finastride). Since last 1 month i can notice change in penis size shrinked. Feeling tired most of the time and increase in body weight. Vibration feeling all over the body. Are these symptoms of Low T?

    • drtan

      Yes they are. In your case, more likely low DHT as this is the effect of Finasteride.

      • Ranjith

        Thanks for your response, Dr.Tan. I believe you treat for DHT as well and what would be the right time to meet you at your clinic?

  10. i have a small penis around 2inch but it’s 5.5inch when erect is that classed as a micropenis and can i get circumcised

    • Dr Justin Sim

      By definition micropenis is a flaccid penis of 1.5 inch and 2.75 inch when erect. So you are okay. And yes you can have circumcision as it doesn’t alter penis size.

  11. Hi Im 17 I don’t think I have ever been tested for thus but I want to be. The issue is telling my mom like I’m to imbarased. I was wondering if you had any tips or advice on how to tell her without being so nervous

    • Dr Justin Sim

      You can’t be ‘tested’ for micropenis, you need to be examined by a doctor. You should see your regular doctor for this.

  12. Hi Im 27 years old overweight. I have a micropenis and wondering what options do I have with regards to micropenis.

    Fully erect is barely 6cm long. Please do let me know the cost of treatment too. Thank you

    • Dr Justin Sim

      True micropenis can only be rectified with surgery.

  13. Anonymous

    Hi, great article! Thanks for sharing.
    I am 20. My voice is not deepened enough. I got hormonal treatment at the age of 14-15,because I had micropenis. Treatment consisted of two steps, but I didn’t do second step. I really, regret. Now I have flaccid: 6-7 cm, erect: 10-11 cm. My voice is not enough deepened, either facial hair doesn’t grow as much as my friends at my age. Can testerone help? I am really curious to know if hormonal treatment can help me to enlarge it again. Thanks, doctor!

    • Looking at your history, it sounds like you do indeed have a hormonal problem that is responsible for your voice as well as penis size. So there is a good chance you will respond to Testosterone replacement. However, you are already past puberty so I am a little concerned about how dramatic the changes will be even if you go on TRT. I’m afraid the only way to know is to give it a go.

    • Dr Justin Sim

      Testosterone may help issues with erectile dysfunction and libido but it won’t increase the size of your penis. The only way to increase the size at this point will be surgery or implants. Do bear in mind that the average penis, erect, is only about 14-16cm. So I understand yours is a little less than average but 11cm erect is good.

    • Anonymous

      Dr. Tan, Dr. Justin Sim.

      I am obliged to you. I will talk to doctor. You really made my day! Also, this is great website. I had this question for last 3 months, couldn’t get an appropriate answer until Dr. Tan and Dr. Justin answered! Your help is much appreciated. Thank you again!

  14. Hey Im 16. My penis is 1.5 inch soft and 4.3 inch hard. I’am starting to believe that I have micropenis due to my poor circumcision. But then when I surfed the internet about micropenis due to poor circumcision I found out that it doesnt have any connection at all. And by poor circumcision I mean there is an underlying fat on my penis. I didnt experience this kind shrinking when soft in my childhood. Just after my circumcision. Anyway, when I did another research I am starting to believe that it was not micropenis but rather a hormonal deficiency. Can you like suggest me something or give me a positivity that it is hormone deficiency? Im about to tell my parents next week though. Im just embarass of what my father and the doctor would say.

    • You are right, circumcision has nothing to do with micropenis. Yes you could have a hormonal deficiency. In order to find out if you do or not, you need a blood test. You are very smart and very brave to tell your parents. That is exactly the right thing to do. Do not be embarrassed. If you have a medical problem, the earlier you fix it, the better.

      • Oh god thank you. At least its not micro penis. I’ll have it check after I get enrolled for College. Thanks a lot. Too bad I cant come to your clinic because I live here in Philippines and we dont have that much money to go there. Im really thankful that you replied. More power 🙂

  15. Bambrick

    Dr Tan
    hello I’m 35 I recently had an issue with weight loss and muscle loss my libido shot down sinificantly a few months later I lost two inches off my penis when erect what can I do to get my inches back also does it sound as if low T is my issue I started taking Zinc and Vitamin A daily ..

    • Weight loss, muscles loss, loss of libido and penile atrophy can all be symptoms of low testosterone. Since you are in your late 30’s, this is a definite possibility. You should see your doctor and get a testosterone test or other tests that your doctor might deem necessary. If your testosterone is truly low, you will likely benefit from testosterone replacement therapy.

  16. Hi Dr.

    I am very worried about my son. He is 4, and he had always had a small penis. According to measurement tables (found online) he is of micropenis length. We live in sydney, and I was wondering if you could tell me what type of specialist deals with this condition?
    Thanks so very much

    • It is probably best for him to see his pediatrician first. They will need to exclude genetic and hormonal problems. He might end up needing to see a pediatric endocrinologist.

  17. I’m 13 years old and I haven’t hit puberty yet I can’t even ejaculate my penis is about 2 inches flaccid, and 3.5 hard, do I have micropenis? And should I talk to my parents

    • Honestly your problem sounds more like a hormonal problem than just micropenis. Please tell your parents and see a doctor. You will require a full hormonal and maybe even genetic workup. You are welcome to see me anytime. Click here for contact info.

  18. Hello I just turned 41 and I wants know if I do have a micro penis is there anything that I can do at my age .IM about 1inch long soft and maybe 3 1/2 on a good day

    • What I would like you to do is to push the skin at the base of your penis down and expose all the shaft then measure again. If you are overweight, this could make the penis look much smaller than it really is. 3 inches soft is within normal limits. Most penis enlargement treatments are a sham. You can speak to your doctor about your testosterone level. This may be an issue. You may also want to address any PE or ED issues you have. This can make sex more enjoyable for you and your partner even if your penis is on the smaller side of the scale. You are welcome to visit our clinics anytime during our opening hours.

  19. Hi, I am 18 years old and my penis size is 5 cm when flaccid and around 4.1 inch when erected. I am really concern about my size as it may affect my sex lives in the future. Is there any way to improve my penis size? Thank you!

  20. Im 18 and about an inch soft but right at 5 hard. I have facial hair and hair all over my body have gotten taller but my voice hasnt deepened and I feel like my testicles are small and my penis. Am I likely to grow more?

    • At 18 unlikely. Since you think your testes are small, your voice has not broken and your penis is small, you might want to see your doctor for potential hormonal problems.

  21. im 18 and have a 2 inch penis erect. what do i do?

  22. Anynomous

    I’m 17 years old my penis is about 1inch flaccid and when I’m erect I’d say about 4.5/6 inch I was just wondering if I have anything to worry about

  23. Anynomous

    Hello i am 13 and lead to belive that i have micro penis, i know for a fact i do. I am terrified of telling my parents, let alone my doctor. PLEASE help.

    • See your doctor. That is the best advice I can give you.

  24. Angelo

    Dear Dr Tan,

    I am 48 , married with two children. I need to consult you on micro penis treatment for myself. I can visit Singapore to do so. Pls advise.


    • Sorry. We do not provide such treatments. You might want to consider seeing a Urologist.

  25. Marley

    Hello dr Tan

    Is it possible to have these Human Chorionic Gonadotropin injections discussed here http://www.micropenis.info/p/micropenis-treatment-in-adults.html by a doctor or something?

    • drtan

      Yes there are HGH treatments available. But first a patient has to have a demonstratable HGH deficiency. Please post any follow up questions on http://www.askdrtan.com

  26. Brandon

    Hello drtan, When i look down at myself i know its much smaller than average. i never measure how much but it resembles that of baby and i wont humilitate myself in public. Its a touchy subject so i have never sought help i am almost 20 years old and i fear its way too late. I have no reason to live. Is their anything i can do to fix it? thank you very much

    • You have no reason to live because you think your penis is small? Do you not think that is a touch over-reacting? Please go see a Urologist. Please post any follow up questions on http://www.askdrtan.com

  27. That person

    Hi I am 15 years old almost 16 and I have a really small penis I am to embarrassed to talk to my parents or to a doctor about it if u could give me any advice on what to do. I am a little worried that with my small penis that my girlfriend might ask for sex. Like I said any advice would be nice and thank you

    • First of all you need to determine if your penis is truly pathologically small or not. For that, you should see a urologist.

  28. Anonymous

    Hi I’m only 13 and have 1 and 1/2 soft, I no I haven’t hit pueberty but I’m scared because my friends r bigger??

    • You should see your doctor especially if you do not develop other signs of puberty.

  29. Hi I’m 17 and have a penis size of around 4 inches when erect. I know
    I have a micropenis because of research and because of this am not confident at all. I just want to know what can be done for me to improve my size. Please help,any thanks. Liam

    • Please see your GP who will refer you to a Urologist.

      • Ok thanks alot, do you have any idea to what the urologist might say? I am just extremely embarrassed and would rather not go through the embarrassment if nothing can be done about this. Many thanks

  30. I have always thought of myself of having a small penis, I’m thirty three and mypenis is a inch and a half soft but just about five erect, would I be waisting my time going to the doctor about it?

  31. Test

  32. I’m 17 and I suspect I have hormonal/genetic issues (Klinefelter’s syndrome) which cause micropenis and a lot more problems. I have visited a doctor for an appointment with an Endocrinologist in SGH. However, its on January 2013.

    I read online that this type of disorder require early treatment. Do you know any experienced Endocrinologist in Singapore that have treat or encounter XXY/Klinefelter’s syndrome and is willing to help?

    Thanks a million.

    • There are many endocrinologists in public and private practice that can diagnose and treat Klinefelter’s syndrome. It is however not my place to refer you to any doctor. You actually do not need to see an Endo to diagnose Klinefelter’s. You can get your doctor to do a blood test for you first. At least when you see the Endo in Jan 2013, you would already have the diagnosis confirmed and can get started on treatment. Please ask any follow up questions on http://www.askdrtan.com

  33. 史蒂芬


    • 可以。一盒$88。一盒里面有四个100mg的药片。

  34. Hi Dr.Tan,

    im 20 years old. im quite sure that i have a micropenis. i never seen a doctor before. i’d like to, but do you think hormonal treatment still do the trick for a guy in my age ? because most of the articles i read they said it should be done when you’re a kid. and, may i know how much will it cost for a consultation, and hormonal treatment?

    thank you,
    best regards.

    • First of all you need to verify that you actually have a hormonal problem. This would require a physical examination and blood testing. If you really do have a hormonal problem at 20 years old, the treatment will be long and complicated. I suggest you see the polyclinic and get referred to a specialist in a re-structured hospital. This way it is a lot more economical.

  35. Hi dr tan my penis is about 1 inch soft and around 3 erect when i measure in erect i push the ruler against my pubic bone… any way im scared to death i have micropenis sooo do i??? my puberty stage said it was 2…. also im 14 and my dad said he didnt start puberty til 15… is that why?? thanks so so much dr.

    • If this really concerns you then you should discuss it with your parents and seek the advice of a doctor.

  36. I’m 17 and I’m really scared to tell my doctor and mom about my penis. Would it be too late to fix with Meds if I waited till I was 18?

    • If you feel that there is something medically wrong with your penis you have to tell your doctor or your parents.

  37. Concerned Person

    Hello Dr. Tan I am a 20 year old and have the micropenis syndrome. I am barley 1 inch flaccid and only slightly over 2 inches erect. Although concerned, I really did not look into this until very recently and found that there are actually few treatments to this. I have not seen significant growth in to my penis even when going through puberty and am very concerned. Please, what should I do?

  38. Well i’m not sure whether do i have micropenis. Is there anyway to see if i have one? It could be the hidden in the fats too.

  39. Does slimming down helps? Cause right now my testicles/scrotum as well as my penis is pretty small but i think its due to i’m alittle fat at my thigh areas. Right now if i’m not erecting, the penis is like inside the skin of fats or whatsoever when i’m sitting down.

    • Hi Eddy,

      Slimming down and pubic hair removal can make the penis appear larger. They do not actually increase penis size.


      Dr Tan

  40. What can my doctors do about micropenis. im a little nervious about telling the doctor

    • Hi Nick,

      The most important thing for doctors to do is to make sure that you truly have micropenis. And if so, is it secondary to any diseases like hormonal problems or genetic issues. If not, there is nothing that can or should be done.


      Dr Tan


  1. Micropenis - Wikipedia - tierarztpraxis-kexel.de - […] measurement of serum gonadotropins, testosterone, DHT, and precursors of testosterone. Penis enlargement procedures are a myth. And he would…
  2. Penis Enlargement | Men's Health - […] Your penis is very likely more normal than you think. The average penis measures 7.5cm to 10cm when it…