Low Salt Diet
Salt is essentially sodium chloride.
Excess sodium retains water in our bodies. This leads to an increase in blood volume, which in turn leads to elevation of blood pressure.
Most of our sodium intake comes from table salt, but it is also found in other foods such as sodium bicarbonate use for baking and monosodium glutamate (MSG) used in restaurants for flavouring.
Salt is essential for good health, but many people consume a lot more salt than they require. Too much salt is closely associated with high blood pressure, which is a risk factor for heart disease and stroke.
A low salt diet means a diet that avoids foods with high salt content. This does not mean that your foods have to be tasteless and bland. There are a variety of alternative flavourings that can be used to spice up your meals.
Foods to be AVOIDED
- Salted eggs, meat, fish and vegetables
- Canned meat, fish and vegetables
- Canned and packet soups
- Salted butter and margarine
- Bacon, ham, sausages, Chinese sausages
- Ikan bilis, dried prawns, blachan, sambal
- All types of cheese except for the low-salt varieties
- Meat and vegetable extracts
- Salted biscuits, crisps and nuts
- Bottled sauces eg oyster sauce, soya sauce, chilli and tomato sauce
- Preserved foods eg olives, plums, limes and ginger
Foods to be taken in MODERATION
- Bread (about three a day)
- Fresh meat and fish (small helpings)
- Milk (one glass of 250 ml a day)
- Egg (not more than one a day)
- Pepper, onion and garlic
- Curry or chili powder
- Ginger, Five spice and mixed herbs
- Vinegar or lemon juice recommended for fish and salads
- Parsley, basil or mint for garnishing
Need more advice?
- Robertson Walk (Anonymous HIV Clinic) (+65 6238 7810)
- DUO Galleria (Bugis MRT) (+65 6976 5023)
- Novena Medical Centre (+65 6397 2095)
- Somerset – Orchard Building (+65 6262 0762)
- Raffles Place – PLUS (+65 6962 7144)
- Holland V (+65 6235 1339)
- Siglap (East Coast Road) (+65 6962 2144)
Where to find us – here
Selected clinics are open on Saturday and Sunday.
For lady patients who prefer female doctors, we have professional certified female Doctors to attend to your medical needs.