Dermal Fillers Introduction
As the skin ages, it gradually loses some of its collagen and fat. These are the materials that prevent the skin from becoming saggy. Thus, as we age, our skin can become wrinkled and lined.
Dermal fillers are materials is injected into the skin in areas where it needs to be plumped up again and made to look firmer thereby helping to restore skin to its former youthful appearance.
Fillers come in different viscosity, and in general, the thicker the product the deeper it is injected into the dermal layer of the skin (see diagram below). Superficial injections are used to treat fine lines whilst deeper injections are used to treat deep wrinkles and folds as well as are used for lip augmentation and nose bridge treatment.
Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring substance in the human body. It is widely distributed in the superficial and deep skin and is largely responsible for the skin’s elasticity and hydration. Its content diminishes with age and as the skin thins and becomes fragile, the initial skin fracture lines appear.
Pre Treatment Precautions
Please let us know if you have any of the conditions listed below:
- Known allergy or hypersensitivity to hyaluronic acid or any reactions to previous filler treatments.
- Pregnant or breast-feeding.
- On any form of medications including and especially Aspirin, Painkillers (NSAIDS) or Isotretinoin.
- Any other medical problems including and especially Auto-Immune Disease such as SLE, rheumatoid arthritis, and psoriasis.
- A history of cold sores or fever blisters.
- Any swelling of infection in the area to be treated e.g active acne.
- Depending on the area injected and the type of filler or pain control used, you may find the procedure relatively painless to mildly uncomfortable. Treatments around the nose or lip areas are usually more painful. We may recommend a local anesthetic cream or injection prior to treatment.
- You may experience mild redness, swelling, itching and slight pain for up to 72 hours after treatment. The discomfort may be alleviated with oral painkillers such as paracetamol.
- There may be some bleeding at the injection sites. Place firm pressure over these sites with a clean piece of gauze and this should stop the bleeding.
- There may be mild bruising at the injection sites that will fade after 3 to 5 days.
- Rarely, allergic type reactions can occur after treatment with some fillers. These include prolonged redness, swelling, itching and or hardness and bumps in the skin. Such signs may appear at some or all of the points of injection. Sometimes, they can last for several months or longer, but this is extremely unusual.
- If you have a history of cold sores, or fever blisters in the treated area, filler injections may cause them to break out again. In these cases, we may recommend that you take an anti-herpes medicine before treatment to help reduce the likelihood of an outbreak of cold sores.
- Very occasionally, delayed side effects can occur many months after the first treatment. These side effects usually appear as red lumps showing up underneath the skin. Sometimes, these may be permanent. There is some evidence that these may be more common with some of the permanent bead containing fillers.
Post Treatment Care
- Depending on the area treated, and which filler is used, recovery time can be from a few hours to a few days. However, most people find that they can return straight back to work after treatment with dermal fillers.
- Avoid massaging the treated area for 12 hours after treatment. Avoid attending facials or even applying makeup. This may displace the product away from the treated area.
- Avoid attending laser or IPL treatments for 1 week after treatment. Laser and IPL will denature the product thus removing any effect of the treatment.
- Avoid extreme temperatures for 1 week after treatment. Avoid intense cold or even going to the sauna. This will also denature the product thus removing any effect of the treatment.
- Some improvement will be noticeable immediately. The full effect of the treatment can usually be appreciated after about 3 to 7 days. This gives time for any bruising or swelling to subside and also for the hyaluronic acid to absorb water and expand to its proper volume.
- We will schedule you for a follow up appointment within this period to determine if any additional enhancement injections are necessary.
- Depending on the area injected and the type of filler used, treatment effects last from 3 to 6 months. Top-up treatments are then required to maintain the effect.
Fillers for Lips
Everyone loves sexy pouty lips. Age, sun damage and smoking will cause the lips to turn inwards making it look very thin. Fillers can be used to put volume back into the lips as well as shape it to give a very sexy French pout.
Fillers for Nose-bridge
Most Asians have a flat nose-bridge. Enhancing the nose bridge instantly makes the upper face sharper and draws attention to the eyes. When combined with a gentle brow lift using fillers, it enhances the entire upper face and gives an instant and attractive appearance.Click here to learn more about Nose Bridge Fillers
Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring substance in the human body. It is widely distributed in the superficial and deep skin and is largely responsible for the skin’s elasticity and hydration.
All Our Doctors are Fully Certified and Trained to inject Dermal Fillers
Need more advice?
- Robertson Walk (Anonymous HIV Clinic) (+65 6238 7810)
- DUO Galleria (Bugis MRT) (+65 6976 5023)
- Novena Medical Centre (+65 6397 2095)
- Somerset – Orchard Building (+65 6262 0762)
- Raffles Place – PLUS (+65 6962 7144)
- Holland V (+65 6235 1339)
- Siglap (East Coast Road) (+65 6962 2144)
Where to find us – here
Selected clinics are open on Saturday and Sunday.
About Dr. Tan
Dr. Tan graduated from the National University of Singapore in 2001. His residency was in the two largest public hospitals in Singapore; Tan Tock Seng Hospital and Singapore General Hospital.
About Dr. Tan