Updates on HIV testing Window Period
27th June 2013 was National HIV Testing Day in the US.
There were a lot of activities to promote HIV testing.
What I found interesting and also should be of interest to many readers of this blog is the HIV Testing Factsheet published by the CDC.
I have attached a copy here.
HIV Signs and Symptoms
The HIV Window Period and Test Accuracy
HIV PEP Post Exposure Prophylaxis
Please allow me to highlight some points in this factsheet:
1. The factsheet says that antibodies to HIV typically develop between 2 to 8 weeks after exposure to the virus. This we already know but I am glad there is more official recognition of this fact. So for those of you who are still sweating over your 3 months HIV test, stop sweating.
2. The factsheet also states that the P24 antigen can be detected within 4 to 7 days before antibodies appear. In other words, as early as 1 week from infection. This should also give comfort and reassurance to those of you who have undergone the Combo/Duo test at 3 to 4 weeks from exposure.
3. The factsheet also states that an RNA test can detect the HIV virus 10 to 15 days after exposure. I personally think that this should be the standard of care. Unfortunately, the RNA test in Singapore is costly and has a very long turn-around time. Our clinic in Thailand will be able to run this test at less than half of Singapore’s cost with a 1 to 2 days turnaround time.
Overall, I hope this factsheet published by the US CDC which is easily the most conservative medical institution I know, will give everyone some relief and reassurance.Click here for Detailed Information on HIV tests available at Our Clinics. Click here for Info on STD Symptoms in Men Click here for Info on STD Symptoms in Women Click here for Info on HPV Testing in Men
Need more advice?
- Robertson Walk (Anonymous HIV Clinic) (+65 6238 7810)
- DUO Galleria (Bugis MRT) (+65 6976 5023)
- Novena Medical Centre (+65 6397 2095)
- Somerset – Orchard Building (+65 6262 0762)
- Raffles Place – PLUS (+65 6962 7144)
- Holland V (+65 6235 1339)
- Siglap (East Coast Road) (+65 6962 2144)
Where to find us – here
Selected clinics are open on Saturday and Sunday.
For lady patients who prefer female doctors, we have professional certified female Doctors to attend to your medical needs.
If you had a high risk exposure to HIV within the past 72 hours, you can take medicines to reduce your risk of actually contracting HIV. Find out more on HIV PEP Treatment.HIV Prevention within 72 hours of exposure (PEP) – Click Here Click Here for Contact Details, Address and Opening Times.
We are Open on Weekends.
Call us at 63972095 now to book your appointment.
All prices quoted below excludes prevailing GST
About Dr. Tan
Dr. Tan graduated from the National University of Singapore in 2001. His residency was in the two largest public hospitals in Singapore; Tan Tock Seng Hospital and Singapore General Hospital.
|Consultation||STD Consultation – $60.00
Anonymous HIV Rapid Test only $20.00
|Standard||HIV, Syphilis, Hepatitis B/C, Herpes Simplex Virus Type I and II||$ 200.00|
|Urine – Chlamydia and Gonorrhoea PCR, Monilia, Trichomonas, NSU, Mycoplasma, Ureaplasma, Urine Culture, Candida||$ 280.00|
Urethritis and Vaginitis
|Vaginal Swab – Chlamydia and Gonorrhoea PCR, Monilia, Trichomonas PCR, Gardnerella PCR, Candida PCR, Group B StrepNSU, Mycoplasma, Ureaplasma, Direct Microscopy, Candida, Vaginal swab culture||$ 345.00|
|Comprehensive (Male)||Blood – Syphilis, Hepatitis B/C, Herpes Simplex Virus Type I and IIUrine – Chlamydia and Gonorrhoea PCR, Monilia, Trichomonas, NSU, Mycoplasma, Ureaplasma, Urine Culture, Candida||$ 390.00|
|Comprehensive (Female)||Blood – Syphilis, Hepatitis B/C, Herpes Simplex Virus Type I and IIVaginal Swab – Chlamydia and Gonorrhoea PCR, Monilia, Trichomonas PCR, Gardnerella PCR, Candida PCR, Group B StrepNSU, Mycoplasma, Ureaplasma, Direct Microscopy, Candida, Vaginal swab culture||$ 525.00|
|Individual STD Tests|
|Determine Syphilis test||Rapid Syphilis Test||$ 50.00|
|Determine Hepatitis B Test||Rapid Hepatitis B Test||$ 50.00|
|Herpes Simplex Virus PCR||Herpes Simplex Virus Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) Test||$ 200.00|
|Chlamydia and Gonoccocal PCR||Chlamydia and Gonorrhea|
|Herpes Simplex Virus Type I IgG Antibody||Herpes Type 1||$ 40.00|
|Herpes Simplex Virus Type II IgG Antibody||Herpes Type 2||$ 40.00|
|Non-Specific Urethritis (NSU) Culture||Mycoplasma, Ureaplasma||$ 118.00|
|HIV RNA/DNA Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) Test||$600
Add $100 for expedited results
|Rapid Fingerprick Blood HIV-1/2 P24 Antigen/Antibody Combo (HIV Duo Test) (4th generation!)||$ 150.00|
|Rapid Oral Saliva HIV-1/2 Antibody Test (Oraquick)||$ 50.00|
|Rapid Fingerprick Blood HIV-1/2 Antibody Test (Determine)||$ 50.00|
|PEP||$2000 – $2200|