What you know about HIV Window Period and Test Accuracy?
“Today we are going to talk about the HIV Window Period and the Accuracy of HIV tests. This has understandably caused a lot of confusion.
The HIV Window Period is the time from when a person is infected with HIV to when our tests can tell us that he or she is infected with HIV.
This means if a person who is infected does a test during this so called window period, the test will tell us he is NOT infected with HIV even though he is. This is called a false negative test.
Logically, the window period depends on the type of HIV test done.
The PCR RNA HIV test is accurate from 10 days after infection.
The 4th Generation HIV test aka the combo test is accurate from 28 days after infection.
So what happens between day 1 and 10 you ask? This is called the eclipse period where no tests we have now are accurate.
To keep it simple, just remember this: If you are 10 days to a month from exposure, get the HIV RNA test. If you are 28 days or more from the date of exposure, get the HIV 4th generation test.” – Dr Tan
We are a fully certified Anonymous HIV testing and screening clinic in Singapore. We use Gold Standard tests in accordance to latest international Standards and Guidelines.
High risk exposure to HIV in the last 72 hours
Condom Broke? HIV PEP or HIV Prevention / Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) is the use of antiretroviral (ARV) medications to prevent or to stop the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) from entering and infecting the body after exposure in the last 72 hours.
Long term prevention from HIV
HIV Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) is simply a tablet taken daily that reduces a person’s risk of contracting HIV.
Anonymous HIV Testing at Our Clinic
Dr. Tan and Partners is one of the few MOH approved Anonymous HIV Testing Centres in Singapore. Learn More
STEP 1: RECEPTION
1.) Just walk into our clinic Robertson Walk.
2.) Let our staff you are here for the “3 step test”*.
3.) You will be given a pamphlet & AHT Registration Form
4.) The form does not require any personal details from you.
STEP 2: SEE OUR DOCTORS
5.) The doctor will see you in his or her room.
6.) You will have a private consultation with the doctor.
7.) Doctor will proceeds with the “3 Step Test”*.
STEP 3: RESULTS and POST-RESULTS CONSULTATION
8.) After 20 minutes your results will be ready.
9.) Assessment on the results of your HIV test.
We have teamed up with the counselors from Oogachaga to provide free counselling while you wait.
This service will be available every Friday from 6pm to 9pm beginning 11th July 2014 at our Robertson Walk branch.
You may print the Anonymous HIV Testing form and pass it to our Staff Print AHT Form
General Information on HIV
- How does HIV enter the body?
- A quick breakdown on how HIV can be transmitted
- How long can HIV live outside the body?
- Early Symptoms of HIV
- HIV Symptoms
- HIV Window Period
- False Negative HIV ELISA test
- HIV ELISA test and HIV ECLIA test
- HIV CMIA Test Accuracy
- HIV 4th Generation Test Singapore: HIV P24 Ag/Ab Test, Duo Test, Combo Test
- HIV P24 Ag/Ab Test, Duo Test, Combo Test at our Clinic
- HIV Test Kit
- HIV Testing – FAQ
- Video of Positive Oraquick Advance HIV 1/2 Test
- Video of Alere Determine HIV test – Positive Test
- Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) Treatment
- When to test for HIV during and after completion of PEP
- HIV Cure
- HIV Treatment
- How Long can HIV live outside the body?
- Condom Broke
- Medicines to Prevent HIV – PrEP
- Getting HIV from Oral Sex
- How effective are Condoms, Diaphragms and Circumcision in preventing HIV transmission?
- Female to Female Sexual Transmission of HIV
- Viral Load and what it means
- CD4 T-Cell Count and what is means
- Anonymous HIV Testing and Counselling
- STD Questionnaire – its to determine your risk status for sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), including HIV